Premier Food Safety - FAQs
Though terminology may vary depending on the state or county where you work, the Food Manager Certification usually refers to a more advanced, more comprehensive type of training that is mainly designed for owners and managers. The general rule is that at least one person per business must have a Food Manager Certification, and that person has to be actively working there.
In California, for example, the Food Manager Certification designates a state requirement mandating that at least one employee or owner per food establishment passes an accredited food safety examination, whereas the Food Handler Card refers to a less comprehensive training that is mandatory for all employees who come in direct contact with unpackaged food.
Other states, however, use the term food handler certification to refer to the food manager certification. For information specific to the state you work in, please contact your local health department.
Food Handler Card Online Training
Unfortunately, we only offer the Food Handler’s training online at the moment; therefore you need a computer in order to get the certificate. Here are a few suggestions to complete your training:
- Go to your local library – computers are available for use to the public.
- Ask a friend if you could borrow their computer for a few hours.
- Talk to your supervisor about using a computer at work.
You will be able to easily navigate the course as long as your computer meets the following requirements:
- Internet Connectivity - A high speed internet connection (cable modem) is strongly recommended.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - Click here to download the latest version for free.
- Speakers for the online course's audio are optional.
- A printer is highly recommended, since you will need to download and print the Certificate of Completion for the Food Handler Card Training.
Food Manager Certification
Anyone can get certified in four easy steps.
1. Choose your training/exam type:
- Instructor-led class and ServSafe exam at one of our public course locations (classroom training mandatory depending on student’s location) OR
- Self Study at home and proctored Prometric Certification Exam at one of our testing centers.
2. Register and pay via phone or web
3. Take the Food Manager Exam:
- Attend an instructor-led class and take the ServSafe Food Manager Exam at one of our public course locations OR
- Set up a Prometric Food Manager Exam appointment time 2HR slots are available Monday-Friday from 9AM-5PM and are based on availability.
4. Pass the Food Manager Exam and receive your certificate in the mail
- Prometric Exam (within 2-3 weeks)
- ServSafe (sent via email within 3-4 weeks)
Choose from any of the following packages.
- $159 Package – Includes a study guide booklet via email, ServSafe instructor-led class, ServSafe Food Manager Exam, and our bonus Top 10 Health Violations eBook; must be paid in full before the day of the class otherwise a $30 walk-in fee will apply
- $139 Package – Our most popular program, which includes a study guide booklet via email, ServSafe instructor-led class, and ServSafe Food Manager Exam; must be paid in full before the day of the class otherwise a $30 walk-in fee will apply
- $99 ServSafe Food Manager Exam Only- available at one of our public instructor-led class locations; must be paid in full before the day of the exam otherwise a $30 walk-in fee will apply.
- $89 Basic Package - Includes study guide booklet by sent via email and the Prometric Food Manager Exam by appointment.
- $99 Standard Package - Includes access to online training and the Prometric Food Manager Exam by appointment.
- $128 Total Package - Includes study guide booklet by email, access to online training, and the Prometric Food Manager Exam by appointment.
- *2-hour exam time slots available Monday-Friday from 9AM-5PM, based on availability.
- $29 Study Guide Booklet
Our concise study guide booklets cover many core FDA food concepts, as well as tips to passing the Food Safety Exam and Food Manager Practice Exams. Many food managers use our practical study resources to learn and refresh their knowledge on essential food safety standards and guidelines. Booklets are available in English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese; sent via email. An additional $5 shipping and handling fee is applicable for a hard copy printed and mailed.
- $39 Online Food Manager Training
A self-paced, media-rich learning experience. The course features graphics, audio, and interactive learning exercises, which are integrated to be a highly effective educational learning program. Our online training is widely accepted by a broad range of clients including regulatory agencies and educational institutions and fulfills training requirements for most counties and states nationwide. Duration of the course is approximately 4-8 hours. If students log out, their progress will be saved automatically and resumed once they are ready to continue. Access to training expires after 6 Months.
- $69 Training only at Instructor-Led Class
Highly recommended as the most effective and enriching form of learning and preparation for the exam. Class is held with an interactive live presentation by a skilled food safety professional. Classes are available in English, Spanish, Korean and Chinese, depending on location.