New Mexico Food Handlers Card $7.95

How To Get Your Food Handlers Card

Get Started Now

Looking for Group Discounts? Contact Us

About the Online Training

  • Course Duration: 90 minutes
  • Number of exam attempts: Unlimited (after 2 failed attempts, the course must be completed from the beginning)
  • Languages: English and Spanish
  • Minimum passing score: 70%
  • 100% online and mobile friendly
  • Course features full text transcript and closed captioning
  • Effective April 2019, all Food Handlers in New Mexico must complete an ANAB-Accredited Food Handler training program to obtain a food handler card
  • Training must be completed within 30 days from date of hire
  • Food Handlers cards are valid for 3 years
  • Online training is ANAB-accredited and valid throughout the State of New Mexico
Passing Guarantee
Money Back Guarantee
Lowest Price Guarantee


What is the New Mexico Food Handlers Law?

Effective April 1st, 2019, the State of New Mexico requires all food handlers in charge of handling food, utensils, and food contact surfaces, to receive training in basic food safety concepts from an ANAB-Accredited provider. This includes all food service employees, with the exception of those working in Albuquerque and Bernalillo county.

Are there any cities or counties who are not subject to the food handler law?

Yes. Food handlers working in Albuquerque or Bernalillo county are not required to take a state-approved food safety course.

When does the food handler training need to be completed?

New Mexico Food Handlers must complete an ANAB-Accredited food handler training program within 30 days of beginning of employment.

How long is the training valid for?

Food Handler cards are valid for 3 years from the date the training was completed.

What type of Food Handler training is available and valid for food handlers?

Food service employees can be obtained by completing and online program approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) National Accreditation Board (ANAB). Premier Food Safety is an ANAB-Accredited training provider.

How do I get a New Mexico Food Handler Card?
  1. Purchase a training license through the website or by calling us
  2. Complete the training and pass the 40-question test
  3. Download and print your New Mexico Food Handlers Card and certificate of completion
What is the passing score on the final exam?

Food Handlers may print a certificate of completion upon receiving a score of at least 70% on the final exam.

Do I have to complete the training all at once?

No, the training is self-paced. You can start and review a few chapters, log out of your account, and resume the training at a different time. All your progress will be saved.

My employer provides their own food safety training program? Am I still required to complete a new training if I already completed this program?

Establishments creating and delvering their own training programs approved by the regulatory authorities in New Mexico are accepted. However, please keep in mind that food handler training is not transferable between employers in this case. This means that if you start working for a different establishment later on, you will be required to take a new food handler training course.

Are any food service employees exempt from the food handler training requirement?

Yes. The State of New Mexico does not require a food handler card if: a) the person does not handle TCS foods, b) the person works as a volunteer or is someone who only occasionally performs food service activities (ex. restaurant hosts, caregivers assisting patients), or c) they are an employee or volunteer working at temporary events. Please note that in all of the above cases, employers are still required to provide food safety training to their employees and maintain records of it.

I am currently a Certified Food Protection Manager. Do I still need to obtain a Food Handler Card?

No. If you already hold a valid Food Manager Certification, you are not required to complete a New Mexico food handler course

Will my New Mexico Food Handler Card still be valid if I change jobs?

If you receive your training from an ANAB-accredited program, your training will still be valid if you start working for a different restaurant. However, if you are a food handler who initially received training from a restaurant offering an internal program, which was not ANAB-accredited, you will have to take the training again.