Arizona ServSafe Certification

State Regulations

The person in charge must demonstrate knowledge of foodborne disease prevention.
One way to demonstrate knowledge is to become a certified Food Protection Manager by passing a test that is part of an accredited program.

Certification Exam

Optional at a state level. Mandatory in some counties.

Approved Certification Exams

ANAB-CFP Accredited Certification exams such as ServSafe, NRFSP, AlwaysFoodSafe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric

Food Safety Training Requirement

In some counties

Certificate Renewal

5 years statewide. Specific counties vary.

Additional Requirements

Some local jurisdictions have their own training and certification requirements.
Please contact your local health authority for more information.

Get ServSafe® Certified Now!

100% Online Training and Exam Options

  • First Time or Renewal
  • Instant Results Available
  • Available in English and Spanish.


Which Certification Exams are approved in Arizona?

Food Manager Certification Exams accredited under the ANAB-CFP standard, such as the ServSafe Exam, are considered approved in Arizona.

How long is the certificate valid for?

Certification is valid for 5 years statewide. However, some counties have their own specific requirements. For more information, please contact your local health department.

Do I have to register with the Environmental Health Services or get a card after I pass my exam?

This will depend on the city or county where you work. Maricopa County, for example, requires you to bring the original ServSafe certificate of completion and a government issued ID to the Maricopa County Environmental Health Division and pay the license fee to receive your Certified Food Manager Identification. For more information, please contact your local health department.

Do I need to have a certified food protection manager employed before I open my business?

The law provides 90 days to ensure that a food facility has a certified food protection manager employed when a new business is started, change of ownership, or if the certified food protection manager leaves the business.