Massachusetts Food Safety Certification
|Each food establishment must have at least one on-site person in charge who is a certified food protection manager through passing a food safety certification test from an accredited program, such as ServSafe.|
Approved Certification Exams
|ANAB-CFP Accredited Certification exams such as ServSafe, NRFSP, Always Food Safe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric|
Food Safety Training Requirement
Get ServSafe® Certified Now!
Online Training and Exam Options
- First Time or Renewal
- Instant Results Available
- Available in English and Spanish.
How does a food manager obtain his/her food safety certification?
A Person-In-Charge (PIC) becomes a certified food protection manager by passing an accredited exam such as ServSafe. Upon passing one of the accredited exams the PIC will receive a certificate and will be in compliance with the certification requirement. Although training is not a Massachusetts requirement, it is strongly recommended. Premier Food Safety offers an online training program as well as a Premier Study Guide to prepare managers for their food manager exam.
Which establishments need to be certified?
All food establishments must have a certified food protection manager except the following:
- Temporary food establishments operated by non-profit organizations
- Daycare operations which prepare and/or serve only snacks
- Food establishments which sell only pre-packaged food
- Food establishments with limited preparation of non-potentially hazardous food
- Food establishments which prepare and serve USDA meat and poultry products containing 120 PPM nitrite and 3.5% brine concentration, such as hotdogs.
- Satellite feeding sites receiving prepared meals from commissaries for immediate service.
Does the Certified Food Protection Manager need to be present at the food facility at all times?
No but when the certified PIC is unavailable during operating hours, an alternate PIC must be assigned. The alternate PIC does not require certification; however, this person must be knowledgeable in food safety, food borne illness prevention and corrective actions. This person must be at least eighteen years of age and be a full-time equivalent on-site manager or supervisor.
Are there minimum hours of training to obtain the food manager certification?
Training is not a requirement in Massachusetts, but it is strongly recommended. Premier Food Safety offers an online training program as well as a Premier Study Guide to prepare managers for their food manager certification exam.
What training and certification options do you offer in Massachusetts?
- Online Food Manager Training: A self-paced online training, which incorporates media-rich learning experiences: graphics, audio and interactive learning exercises. Highly effective educational learning program.
- Online Study Guide: A comprehensive study resource which covers many of the important core FDA food concepts. The study guide also includes Top 5 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and Practice Exam.
- Food Manager Exam: We offer the nationally accredited ServSafe exam, which is administered online by a registered proctor with ProctorU. Schedule the certification exam for a date and time of your choice and take it from the comfort of your home. Get your results the same day!