Michigan Food Safety Certification
|Food service establishments are required to have at least one managerial employee who has been certified under an ANAB-CFP approved food safety certification program.|
Approved Certification Exams
|ANAB-CFP Accredited Certification exams such as ServSafe, NRFSP, Always Food Safe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric|
Food Safety Training Requirement
Get ServSafe® Certified Now!
Online Training and Exam Options
- First Time or Renewal
- Instant Results Available
- Available in English and Spanish.
Do I need to have a certified food protection manager employed before I open my business?
Yes. New establishments will need to have a certified manager upon opening.
Are there minimum hours of training to obtain the Food Manager Certification?
Attending a training course is recommend but not required. The only requirement is to pass a food safety certification exam from an approved provider such ServSafe.
Which food facilities are exempt from the food safety certification requirement?
A certified manager will not be required for the following:
1. Low risk establishments as defined in the current “MDA Risk-Based Evaluation Schedule”. Low risk establishments are defined as establishments that meet the following description:
- Serve or sell only raw or pre-packaged, non-potentially hazardous foods (non time/temperature control for safety (TCS) foods).
- Do not prepare potentially hazardous foods (TCS foods).
- Heat only commercially processed potentially hazardous foods (TCS foods) for hot holding.
- No cooling of potentially hazardous foods (TCS foods).
- Preparation/processing and or packaging limited to non-potentially hazardous food only.
- Warehousing/storage limited to non-potentially hazardous food and/or pre-packaged potentially hazardous foods.
Examples: Most convenience store operations, convenience stores serving precooked hot dogs or sausages, popcorn, nachos, pretzels or frozen pizza.; hot dog carts, and coffee shops; cocktail lounges; theaters; nut kiosks; honey and maple syrup processors; most bakery operations; candy, snack, pasta, spice or other non-potentially hazardous manufacturer, bottled water manufacturer; food warehouses.
2. Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, senior congregate nutrition satellite sites operating in compliance with Michigan Office of Services to the Aging standards, where food is not prepared but only served on-site and prepared in a licensed kitchen that employs a full-time certified manager.
Does the Certified Food Protection Manager need to be present at the food facility at all times?
The certified food protection manager does not need to be present during all hours of operation. However, the certified manager must be considered a full time employee.
What is the definition of a full time employee?
A full time employee, as defined in the Manager Certification Rule – Regulation 570, is an employee that works an average of 30 hours per week or 75% of the operating hours if the establishment operates less than 40 hours per week.
Multiple part-time certified food managers may be used to meet this requirement. Call your inspecting food agency to determine if your hours of coverage by the certified food managers are adequate.
Do grocery stores need to have a certified food manager?
Only grocery stores that are considered to be an “extended retail establishment” or that contain a “food service establishment” will be required to employ a certified manager according to section 289.2129 of the Michigan Food Law 2000.
Extended retail establishments serve or provide unpackaged food for immediate consumption and provide seating in the food service area.
What training and certification options do you offer in Michigan?
- Online Food Manager Training: A self-paced online training, which incorporates media-rich learning experiences: graphics, audio and interactive learning exercises. Highly effective educational learning program.
- Online Study Guide: A comprehensive study resource which covers many of the important core FDA food concepts. The study guide also includes Top 5 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and Practice Exam.
- Food Manager Exam: We offer the nationally accredited ServSafe exam, which is administered online by a registered proctor with ProctorU. Schedule the certification exam for a date and time of your choice and take it from the comfort of your home. Get your results the same day!