Pennsylvania Food Safety Certification
|The Food Employee Certification Act requires one supervisory employee per food facility to obtain a food safety certification by taking a ANAB-CFP nationally recognized food safety class.|
Approved Certification Exams
|ANAB-CFP Accredited Certification exams such as ServSafe, NRFSP, Always Food Safe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric.|
Food Safety Training Requirement
|5 years at a state level.|
Not all Retail Food Facilities in Pennsylvania are under the jurisdiction of the PA Department of Agriculture.
The counties of Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Erie, Montgomery, and Philadelphia have local health departments who are the licensing authority within those jurisdictions.
If your establishment is, or will be, located in one of the above local health jurisdictions, please contact your local health department for more information.
Get ServSafe® Certified Now!
In-Person or Online Training and Exam Options
- First Time or Renewal
- Instant Results Available
- Available in English, Spanish, Korean, and Chinese.
Does the food manager need to be present at the food facility at all times?
The Certified Food Manager does not need to be on premises during all hours of business, but the law does require that the certified food manager be available during all hours of operation. When in the facility, the certified food manager must be the Person-in-Charge (PIC).
Is there a minimum hours of food safety training to obtain the certification?
Yes. Students must complete a 16 hour food safety certification course. Premier Food Safety offers the TAPS training, which satisfies the 16 hour requirement. Please check with your local health department for specific county requirements.
Do I need to have a certified food protection manager employed before I open my business?
New establishments will have 90 days to obtain their Food Manager Certification. Existing establishments which are not in compliance due to employee turnover or other loss of certified food manager shall have three months from the date of loss to comply.
What training and certification options do you offer in Connecticut?
- Online Food Manager Training: A self-paced online training, which incorporates media-rich learning experiences: graphics, audio and interactive learning exercises. Highly effective educational learning program.
- Online Study Guide: A comprehensive study resource which covers many of the important core FDA food concepts. The study guide also includes Top 5 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and Practice Exam.
- Food Manager Exam: We offer the nationally accredited ServSafe exam, which is administered online by a registered proctor with ProctorU. Schedule the certification exam for a date and time of your choice and take it from the comfort of your home. Get your results the same day!