Texas Food Manager Certification
Food establishments, permitted by Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and handling, preparing, or serving exposed potentially hazardous foods, must employ a certified food manager.
The Food Manager Certification must be obtained by passing a department approved examination, such as ServSafe, NRFSP, Always Food Safe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric.
Approved Certification Exams
|ServSafe, NRFSP, Always Food Safe, AboveTraining, 360 Training, and Prometric|
Food Safety Training Requirement
|Every 5 years at a state level|
|Some local jurisdictions have specific requirements, such as registering the Food Manager Certificate with the Health Department, or paying an additional fee for the issuance of a local Food Manager Certificate.|
Get ServSafe® Certified Now!
Online Training and Exam Options
- First Time or Renewal
- Instant Results Available
- Available in English and Spanish.
Which establishments are exempt from the Food Manager Certification requirement?
The following food establishments are exempt from the requirement:
- Establishments that handle only prepackaged food and do not package food
- Child care facilities
- Establishments that do not prepare or handle exposed potentially hazardous foods
- Nonprofit organizations
Do I need to keep a copy of the manager certification at the food establishment?
Yes, the original food manager certificate shall be posted in a location in the food establishment that is conspicuous to consumers.
I took my Food Manager Certification exam in a different state. Will my certificate be valid in Texas?
Yes. Food Manager Certification Examinations issued by training programs accredited through American National Standards Institute – Conference of Food Protection (ANAB-CFP) receive national reciprocity. However, please keep in mind that certain cities or counties have their own requirements, such as registering your certificate with the local health department. Please make sure to check with your local authority for any additional certification criteria.
What training and certification options do you offer in Texas?
- Online Food Manager Training: A self-paced online training, which incorporates media-rich learning experiences: graphics, audio and interactive learning exercises. Highly effective educational learning program.
- Online Study Guide: A comprehensive study resource which covers many of the important core FDA food concepts. The study guide also includes Top 5 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and Practice Exam.
- Food Manager Exam: We offer the nationally accredited ServSafe exam, which is administered online by a registered proctor with ProctorU. Schedule the certification exam for a date and time of your choice and take it from the comfort of your home. Get your results the same day!